An 88-year-old man died of streptococcal toxic shock syndrome due to a group G streptococcus infection that was possibly caused by an intramuscular injection given 30 hours earlier in his right deltoid muscle. The causative pathogen was later identified to be Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp. equisimilis (stG485). Although providing intramuscular injections is an essential skill of health care workers that is performed daily worldwide, it may constitute a port of entry for pathogens via skin breaches that can cause life-threatening infections. All invasive procedures should be carefully performed, especially when immunologically compromised patients are involved.
- Group G streptococcus (GGS)
- Intramuscular injection
- Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (STSS)
- Streptococcus dysgalactiae subsp
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Internal Medicine