Chromoendoscopy of gastric adenoma using an acetic acid indigocarmine mixture

Yoshiyasu Kono, Ryuta Takenaka, Yoshiro Kawahara, Hiroyuki Okada, Keisuke Hori, Seiji Kawano, Yasushi Yamasaki, Koji Takemoto, Takayoshi Miyake, Shigeatsu Fujiki, Kazuhide Yamamoto

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

16 Citations (Scopus)


Aim: To investigate the usefulness of chromoendoscopy, using an acetic acid indigocarmine mixture (AIM), for gastric adenoma diagnosed by forceps biopsy. Methods: A total of 54 lesions in 45 patients diagnosed as gastric adenoma by forceps biopsy were prospectively enrolled in this study and treated by endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) between January 2011 and January 2012. AIM-chromoendoscopy (AIMCE) was performed followed by ESD. AIM solution was sprinkled and images were recorded every 30 s for 3 min. Clinical characteristics such as tumor size (< 2 cm, ≥ 2 cm), surface color in white light endoscopy (WLE) (whitish, normochromic or reddish), macroscopic appearance (flat or elevated, depressed), and reddish change in AIM-CE were selected as valuables. Results: En bloc resection was achieved in all 54 cases, with curative resection of fifty two lesions (96.3%). Twenty three lesions (42.6%) were diagnosed as welldifferentiated adenocarcinoma and the remaining 31 lesions (57.4%) were gastric adenoma. All adenocarcinoma lesions were well-differentiated tubular adenocarcinomas and were restricted within the mucosal layer. The sensitivity of reddish color change in AIM-CE is significantly higher than that in WLE (vs tumor size ≥ 2 cm, P = 0.016, vs normochromic or reddish surface color, P = 0.046, vs depressed macroscopic type, P = 0.0030). On the other hand, no significant differences were found in the specificity and accuracy. In univariate analysis, normochromic or reddish surface color in WLE (OR = 3.7, 95%CI: 1.2-12, P = 0.022) and reddish change in AIM-CE (OR = 14, 95%CI: 3.8-70, P < 0.001) were significantly related to diagnosis of early gastric cancer (EGC). In multivariate analysis, only reddish change in AIM-CE (OR = 11, 95%CI: 2.3-66, P = 0.0022) was a significant factor associated with diagnosis of EGC. Conclusion: AIM-CE may have potential for screening EGC in patients initially diagnosed as gastric adenoma by forceps biopsy.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)5092-5097
Number of pages6
JournalWorld journal of gastroenterology
Issue number17
Publication statusPublished - May 7 2014


  • Acetic acid indigocarmine mixture
  • Early gastric cancer
  • Endoscopic submucosal dissection
  • Gastric adenoma
  • Reddish change

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Gastroenterology


Dive into the research topics of 'Chromoendoscopy of gastric adenoma using an acetic acid indigocarmine mixture'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this