Purification and characterization of calmodulin from rat liver mitochondria

Osamu Hatase, Masaaki Tokuda, Toshifumi Itano, Hideki Matsui, Akitaka Doi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

4 Citations (Scopus)


Mitochondrial calmodulin of rat liver was purified and classified. It co-migrated with bovine brain calmodulin in non-denaturing polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, SDS-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis and isoelectric focusing. The mitochondrial calmodulin activated Ca2+-dependent phosphodiesterase of bovine brain in the presence of Ca2+. About 80% of the mitochondrial calmodulin was proved to be of cytosol origin. It was easily detached by washing with buffer containing EGTA. The other 20% was intramitochondrial calmodulin; half of it was in the matrix space, and half in the membrane.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)673-679
Number of pages7
JournalBiochemical and Biophysical Research Communications
Issue number2
Publication statusPublished - Jan 29 1982

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biophysics
  • Biochemistry
  • Molecular Biology
  • Cell Biology


Dive into the research topics of 'Purification and characterization of calmodulin from rat liver mitochondria'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this